The life of evangelical churches and their spiritual leaders has been portrayed in some recent films and series. Can they help us start conversations?
He pays well; He always gives much more than we deserve.
The Six Nations is perhaps the most important rugby tournament with the national sides of Scotland, Wales, Ireland, England, France and Italy competing for the title.
KEVIN SIMMS played for England in the tournament several times, although he was also a full-time doctor. “Rugby is one of God's gifts to me, and I should do my best to win”, he said recently.
God also talks about winners - not just a few privileged people, but anyone who will put himself in God's hands. God's winners receive his personal prizes.
It's worth competing, for we're sure to win! In today's reading of chapters 2 and 3 of the last book in the Bible, we read about the prizes God will give his winners:
1. “...I will give the right to eat from the tree of life” Rev 2:7
2. “He who overcomes will not be hurt at all by the second death”. 2:11 3. ”...I will give some of the hidden manna...and a white stone with a new name written on it”. 2:17
4. “...I will give authority over the nations...I will also give him the morning star”. 2:26-28
5. “ He...will be dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life”. 3:5
6. “ Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God." 3:12 7. "...I will give the right to sit with me on my throne...” 3:21
No-one could offer more. There is nothing so worthy of our effort - even if we can't understand it. God never forgets his children.
He pays well; he always gives much more than we deserve. He's always ready to give with joy and an open hand.
There have been many spiritual winners in history. We'll meet them all when we come into the presence of God. What will happen to us then? How will we enter into heaven: as winners? Are we going to win the prize? I hope our end is not, in the words of TS Eliot, “ not with a bang, but with a whimper”.