How should we report about Justin Bieber, Kanye West and other cases of well-known personalities who are considering the Christian faith?
We seem to live in a society of fear.
I'm sure anyone would be pleased to win two gold medals in the Olympic Games. Not so MARK SPITZ.
In the 1968 Mexico Olympics, he won the gold medals in the 4 x 100 metres and 4 x 200 metres swimming events. Afterwards he declared: “In Munich I'll win seven gold medals” .
No sooner said than done! In 1972 he won the 100 and 200 metres freestyle events, the 100 and 200 metres butterfly and the 4 x 100 metres and 4 x 200 metres races.
Twenty years later he was still training, to participate in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, and although he didn't compete there, his example was extraordinary.
Unfortunately, most people don't share Mark Spitz's attitude. Most of the time we give in to discouragement and fear.
- Fear of what tomorrow may bring,
- Fear of what others might say about us,
- Fear of being mocked for our actions or beliefs,
- Fear of losing a loved one,
- Fear of failure,
- Fear of making mistakes
- Fear of letting others get to know us,
- Fear of getting nowhere in life,
- Fear of inferiority,
- Fear of being unloved,
- Fear of illness and death,
- Fear of disaster,
- Fear of being found out,
- Fear of not being accepted by God,
-Fear of weariness, depression or rejection,
- Fear of losing our belongings,
- Fear of growing old...
The list is endless. We seem to live in a society of fear. But even today, Jesus' words are valid: “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?”.