How should we report about Justin Bieber, Kanye West and other cases of well-known personalities who are considering the Christian faith?
The vote will show the real power of pro-European forces and far-right populists. “Pray for our politicians to speak truth, to act honestly”.
“He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding” (Daniel 2:21).
This is the verse that opens a statement on Austria's legislative election on the European Evangelical Alliance’s website.
As in other European countries, the rise of right-wing populism is also very visible in Austria. Surveys say the anti-inmigration Freedom Party will become the third gorup in parliament on Sunday, October 15.
Centre-left Socialist Party and centre-right People's Party could depend on the support of the populists, opening them the doors to a government coalition.
IMMIGRATION, SECURITY, JOBS
The legislative election in Austria is “a battleground in the fight between mainstream European politicians and far-right populists”, the statement by the Austrian Evangelical Alliance says.
“Months of disagreements between the governing parties led to the resignation of People’s Party leader Reinhold Mitterlehner and led to snap election. Issues being debated include immigration, integration, crime and security, tax cuts, job creation/reducing unemployment, pensions and care of the elderly”.
PRAYING FOR AUSTRIA
Christians in Austria, call to pray:
“ - for our political leaders to live in integrity in all aspects of their leadership. To speak truth, to act honestly.
- for wisdom and discernment among the believers in Austria.
- to get actively involved in the election through participating through their rights to vote.
- for a spirit of prayer regarding the upcoming crucial election in our land.
- for believers to continue to learn, live, and love in a way that is pleasing to our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ and to stand in unity as one church in Him.
- for the believers to be witnesses to all areas, in everyday life to families, friends, neighbours, co-workers…”
Read more news about Austria.